Saturday, April 26, 2008

Road Trip, Day 3: "Virginia is For Lovers"





I guess the saying, "Virginia is For Lovers" is true, because we can't seem to bring ourselves to leave the state. It's still very slow moving b/c we're traveling through the Shenendoah Valley....which is really all mountains. Big Ones.

So, we began the day at Arlington National Cemetary. The top picture doesn't do the cemetary justice, or show at all how many headstones there are. They go on forever. To quote my mom, "this is a grim reminder of why war is hell". The second picture is Rob and me in front of The Tomb of the Unknown Soldier. We watched the changing of the guards- which they do every hour (and sometimes 1/2 hour) 24 hours/ day, 365 days a year. I can't say enough about this place, you have to see it for yourself.

After the cemetary, we tried to see how far we could get in VA. Not far. We got as far as Roanoke. There we ended the day with some fab-o Mexican food. I know, I had my doubts- we are still in Virginia. But I could tell from the amount of good Mexican beers on the menu that we'd be OK. For the Houstonians reading this- it was very "Los Tios". Yummy. So, on that note, I'm ending this post w/ this- Virginia wins the "Pertiest State and Best Mexican Food" Contest. But that's only because we're not in Texas yet. hehehe

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Happy belated birthday. Sorry I'm a litte slow,I use to live in front royal,Va. Maybe I'm always slow don't know? Yup that the sign from 81 to 66 left hand exit. Nice ride thru there ! Been down to ronoake, your getting down into the mountains on that part of 81S. I used to pick up cement out of troutville exit 150/state rd 220.That's when the train could not bring it quick enough, up to front royal. Did you stay for the light show at the brigde? Have a great light show if you hang around there,Did you see the beginnig or the falls. Took my sister and nieces there a while back (memory fading). Was the Gw still craved into the wall of the bridge from my man Goerge Washington,first known griffit artist defacing rock & choppnig down tree's. Should have stopped into luray caverns and go into the earth!! Hope your travels are good there,like that your keeping us updated on your travels. I've only gone down beyond that area once or twice, hope that info helps out with fuel prices,but running those hills is going to eat that fuel up, be carefull on the down side ,don't get those brakes hot, takes a real long time to stop then. Double rainbow been there, check then tree tops by the rivers you might catch a glimse of a bald eagle when your traveling around the rivers. I'll be chek'in,P.S. how does it fell to be homeless and unemployed?L8R Mike